Gum Disease Treatment
Keeping your gums healthy can help you maintain your overall health. Recent studies point to a link between gum disease and serious health conditions, such as stroke, diabetes, and heart disease. If you have gum disease, or you just want to keep your gums healthy, Fifth Avenue Periodontics in Midtown Manhattan offers a full range of gum disease treatment options to help return your gums to a healthy state and sustain health through our comprehensive maintenance plan. Periodontal disease can range from minor gum inflammation to serious disease with profound damage to soft tissue and bone that support your teeth. Our saliva and mouths are full of bacteria. Estimates of the number of bacterial species vary between 500 and 650 different species. This is not meant to scare you, but underly the importance of good oral hygiene. The bacteria along with natural saliva form plaque. Don’t let plaque build unchecked, consult our practice about treating gum disease.
We begin gum disease treatment with a thorough examination to determine the right course of treatment. Our treatment options include:
- Scaling and Root Planing – Scaling and root planing involves the removal of calculus (tartar) from the necks of the teeth and below the gum line to help treat gum disease.
- Non-surgical Chemotherapeutic Treatment – Our non-surgical chemotherapeutic approach to gum disease treatment involves the placement of antibacterial medication below the gumline. The antibiotic is called Arestin which is a minocycline in the tetracycline family of antibiotics. The Arestin microspheres remain in the pocket for up to 21 days. This medication kills the bacteria which is associated with gum disease. Arestin is safe and painless. Localized sites are often treated with this conservative approach.
- Surgical Treatment – We also offer surgical gum disease treatment, including bone grafting and guided tissue regeneration. These advanced techniques are used to help restore the bone that can be lost due to periodontal disease.
- Comprehensive Maintenance – Once your gums are in a healthy state, we offer comprehensive maintenance to keep them healthy. Long-term success is achieved through our professional maintenance and diligent home care.
- Surgical and Non-Sugical Laser Treatment – Our office is certified in the use of the CO2 ultraspeed laser. This advanced treatment has many advantages over conventional surgical approaches. Please visit our office for a laser consultation to see if this treatment is right for you.