Gum Disease Symptoms
What Is Gum Disease?
As the leading cause of tooth loss, gum disease has serious implications. Bacteria that are found in plaque create toxins that break down bone and connective tissues that keep teeth in place. As a result, pockets deepen and gum tissue and bone are both destroyed. The teeth are no longer held securely in place and in-turn, become loose, leading to tooth loss.
Dr. Clifford Melnick is passionate about helping patients prevent gum disease through preventative treatment and regular periodontal care. Through this blog, you will learn some of the common symptoms associated with gum disease so that you can become more informed on the status of your oral health.
Common Symptoms of Gum Disease
Gum disease is essentially painless as it progresses, making it difficult for an individual to identify even in the later stages of the disease. However, there are some warning indicators, which are important to be aware of and include:
- Bleeding gums during and after tooth brushing
- Gums that are red, tender, and/or swollen
- Chronic bad breath
- Recurrent bad taste in the mouth
- Gums that are receding
- Loose or shifting teeth
- Deep pockets between the gums and teeth
- Differences in how the teeth fit when biting, or differences in how partial dentures fit
Dr. Clifford Melnick stresses the importance of regular dental and periodontal care. Only a dentist or periodontist is able to determine the course of gum disease and identify further warning signs. Scheduling regular check-ups, dental and periodontal cleanings, and exams are important measures to ensure that your oral and overall health stay in excellent shape. To learn more about your oral health, contact Dr. Clifford Melnick to schedule an appointment at our Manhattan dental office at 212-355-1266.
Learn More about Gum Disease
If you are interested in finding out more information about your risks of developing gum disease, then please contact Dr. Clifford Melnick today. Dr. Melnick will answer all of your inquiries regarding gum disease and the possible risks and implications if it is not addressed.
Your oral health is of the utmost importance and is connected to your general health as well. Learn more ways to keep your smile at its best by contacting Dr. Clifford Melnick and his team at our Manhattan dental office today.
A Healthier Smile Starts Today
Gum Disease and You
You know the importance of brushing your teeth and flossing on a daily basis. But did you know that your gum and oral health have been found to link to heart conditions, strokes, and diabetes?
Dr. Clifford Melnick knows the importance of good oral health, and provides patients with a wide variety of services to ensure that oral health is maintained or treated. Through this blog, patients will learn about our services at Fifth Avenue Periodontics and find out why it may be necessary to consider periodontic treatments for better overall health.
Dr. Clifford Melnick’s Periodontal Services
At Fifth Avenue Periodontics, Dr. Clifford Melnick and his team are dedicated to exceptional oral care. We offer gum disease treatments for individuals who are suffering from gum disease, and those who wish for their gums to remain healthy. Some of our most popular treatment options include:
- Scaling and Root Planing- this procedure involves the removal of tartar from the necks of teeth and below the gum line to aid in the treatment of gum disease.
- Chemotherapeutic Treatment- this method is non-surgical and involves the placement of an antibiotic, Arestin, below the gum line. The Arestin microspheres remain in the gum pocket for up to 21 days and kills the bacteria associated with gum disease.
- Periodontal Maintenance- once the gums are healthy, we offer professional and home care to keep your gums healthy.
- Surgery- if surgery is the best option for you, then Dr. Clifford Melnick will consult with you to discuss bone grafting and guided tissue regeneration. Surgical methods can restore bone that is lost with periodontal disease.
Dr. Clifford Melnick and his team are constantly reviewing the latest treatment methods and techniques to ensure that patients always receive the best care. Our periodontal services provide our patients with the comprehensive care.
Learn More about Gum Disease Treatment
If you would like to learn more information about our gum disease treatments at Fifth Avenue Periodontics, then do not hesitate to contact Dr. Clifford Melnick and his dental team. We make certain that your oral health is a priority and that you have a beautiful and healthy smile for a lifetime.
With Fifth Avenue Periodontics’ gum disease treatments, you can restore your smile to a healthy state, or maintain your oral health for a lifetime. Your mouth is the window to the rest of your health—learn how Dr. Clifford Melnick can help keep it healthy. Contact Fifth Avenue Periodontics today.
Ways to Prevent Gum Disease
Gum Disease and Periodontitis
Oral health is not always considered the number one priority when it comes to overall well being. However, the mouth, teeth, and gums all play an important role and require proper care to maintain both oral and general health. In fact, it has been reported that poor oral health is connected to a host of other risk factors including cardiac, stroke, and diabetes risks.
Dr. Clifford Melnick helps patients take control of oral health to decrease the risk of illnesses that can affect overall health. Through this blog, ways to prevent gum disease are discussed. Keep reading to find out more about how you can improve your health and wellness with some periodontal tips from Dr. Clifford Melnick.
Preventing Gum Disease
The best ways to prevent gum disease are to start with the basics. By focusing on oral health, teeth and gums can stay at their healthiest in-turn decreasing the risk for other complications. Some periodontal tips include:
- Brush and floss your teeth everyday. Floss once per day and brush at least twice per day. Take the time to learn how to floss properly for preventative treatment, so that pockets do not form. Brushing your teeth reaches 80% of your mouth, however, the 20% of the areas that cannot be reached by brushing are the regions that face the most periodontal issues. Flossing and regular periodontal care address the areas that face the most dental issues.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Avoid foods that are heavily processed and start cooking complete meals with a variety of seasonal produce. Foods that are high in sugar content cause increased acid to be released in the mouth, which can lead to more decay.
- Quit smoking. Smoking increases the risk of developing periodontal disease, bone loss, and tooth loss. Tobacco can negatively impact periodontal tissues and lead to gingival and/ or bone recession. To learn ways to quit smoking, visit: http://www.smokefree.gov/
- Visit Dr. Clifford Melnick regularly to ensure that your oral health is in check. The dentist is the primary screening system for a host of oral diseases of which you might not be aware including tooth decay, gingivitis, and periodontal disease.
While these basic oral tips are important, your individual periodontal care might need to be more extensive. At Fifth Avenue Periodontics in Manhattan, we offer a wide variety of treatment options to help maintain or restore your oral health. Some of our periodontal treatments include:
- Scaling and Root Planing
- Non-Surgical Chemotherapeutic Treatment
- Surgical Treatment
- Surgical and Non-Surgical Laser Treatment
- Comprehensive Maintenance
More information about all of our treatments can be found at this link (http://www.fifthaveperio.com/dental-services/gum-disease/ ). During a consultation, Dr. Melnick will meet with you to help you understand all of your periodontal options. You can prevent gum disease or restore your oral health with Dr. Clifford Melnick.
Learn More about Your Periodontal Health
To learn more about gum disease and your periodontal health, contact Dr. Clifford Melnick. Dr. Melnick will help you to understand what you can do to keep your oral health at its best.
Your oral health is a window to your general health—shouldn’t you invest some time to take care of it? To find out how you can ward off gum disease, or restore your oral and dental health, call our New York office today.